Friday, June 1, 2007

My Friends React

I have this good friend from high school who plays all these sports with me and has known me through many a love interest, and few boyfriends (obviously, as this is the story of my life).

So when we hung out last night and I mentioned that I thought R. and I might be at that point where some might maybe possibly call us together, she--and she is not very dramatic by nature, mind you--with a gasp, doubled over at the waist and clutched herself. As she stood back up she said plaintively, "nooo! I don't know what I'd do. It changes my whole world view."

Now, some might be insulted by this, as if her friends never believed she'd find a mate; but I felt a hint of pride. I love/d being single--I love the thrill of the chase, and I get bored easily. So I was glad she reacted the way it did, it was somehow reaffirming that I am an independent woman.

But that's why I think things are so good with R., so far. Because I'm still an independent woman, and he's never expected less. He would be confused if I wanted to be together all the time (though he'd probably like it)... and that's why I like him.

Someone wrote in to my blog--I didn't even know anyone but me read it!--and said congrats on getting my man, which was nice, and I'm so excited someone cared enough to comment! But at the same time, I must admit that I bristled a bit at being told it was great that I got a man. The whole proud-of-being-single thing really has been a badge of honor of sorts that I have worn for a long time...

... a badge of honor because it's not like I ever suffered from lack of male attention--I CHOSE to be picky and single. But what if it wasn't something I wanted and I had it? I don't know what that would be like, because as long as I can remember I've been this way, the independent way, the one who'd rather play basketball on a Friday night than go out.

But now I'm off to go snuggle in for a movie night. It's Friday night and I'm snuggling in for a movie... oh how the times have changed.

No comments: