Friday, June 8, 2007

Hand holding

I often profess to hate PDA. But I absolutely love holding hands. Is this hypocritical? Because if you think about it, PDA means Public Displays of Affection, and what could be more affectionate than holding hands? It is mutually exclusive with affection: you don't hold hands with someone you don't genuinely adore. Kissing isn't mutually exclusive with affection, sometimes it can be just passion (or alcohol?)... but hand holding, it's the real deal. It's a physical union of the most innocent type.

But at the same time, is hand holding a public statement of coupleness, and therefore worse than PDA? It's like the bodies attached to the two hands are so proud of themselves that they want to tell everyone? I don't think so, but it makes me wonder... because nothing says "we're a couple!" like holding hands.

So when R. and I walked the streets of Austin last night holding hands, were we being super cute and affectionate or super proud and showing each other off? Maybe it has the most to do with how you feel. I wasn't looking around to see who saw me with him, I was basking in the warmth of his grasp, so that makes our hand holding more the former and less the latter?

Ew, I'm getting so mushy. Basking in the warmth of his grasp? The thing is though, I WAS BASKING! I loved it! I love holding hands! I love seeing other people hold hands!

Despite my big talk, I think I am a sap deep down. In moderation.

No comments: